Sunday, April 19, 2009

Gallipoli 8k Fun Run

Time: 38:10, pace 4:47

This was the annual 8k race held in Kings Park, run by Synergy and part of Anzac week. It's a great little run with a few hundred competitors taking part. This year Olympic pole vaulter Steve Hooker was in the 4k race. While I was warming up a bloke started talking to me about Masters Athletics. I said I might be interested and they seem a friendly bunch, a bit older than the usual runners. I think you need to be over 30 to do Masters. So I'll fit right in :-)

West Aussie running legend John Gilmour said a few words at the beginning, then the bugle played and there was a minutes silence. I always find this very moving. And then we were off! I was hoping for 4:45min/km pace which would give me a 38min finish.

I had done this run last year, but I'd forgotten about the 1km climb at the start. This really took the wind out of my sails, and I took 5:22 for the first km. Luckily the downhill was next and I did 4:38 and 4:12 for the next two, so I was back on track. I found it quite tough as the start was at 9am and the sun was already quite high and hot. I managed to just hold the pace for the second 4k to finish in 38:10, over a minute better than last year. So I was pleased with that, especially coming off the back of yesterday's 18km LSD.

The 8k race was won by Courtney Carter, who is turning into something of a sensation here in WA.

Afterwards me and the family had a slap up binge brekky at Zamia's cafe which didn't leave much change out of $90 (gulp).

No comments:

Post a Comment