Thursday, July 22, 2010

10k Joondalup WAMC Road Race – New PB!

Beat my 10k PB by nearly 2 mins to go sub 45 for the first time, at around 44:48 according to the trusty Garmin. I was really pleased with this race as I started out strongly after a proper warm-up, doing the first k in 4:33. My slowest split was at 8k where I slipped to 4:40 but 9km and 10km were done at 4:15 and 4:10, my 2 fastest kms! So I was happy that I had plenty of reserve to steam home. The conditions were lovely and cool which helped a lot. Also, I played swapsies with another guy who really pushed me the whole way, but I pulled away from him in the last km, which was very satisfying :-)

I did no real training for this, running only once in the previous 10 or so days. A case of less is more?

Oh yeah, I did most of the running on my forefoot (pose running) which I think accounted for the speed. Unfortunately my calves took a hammering and I could barely walk for the next 2 days with DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)!

As usual Roberto Busi won the race in 30 mins or something ridiculous, and is this years State Champion.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your PB Martin! You are obviously doing something right with your training or with the change to your stride. Good to see that you ran so hard that you felt a bit smashed up afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Youve stepped up significantly since Bridges. way to go. Imagine what you can do if you get the training ticking over...Thats under the B grade standard of 45minutes, so thats a very good achievement. keep at it. maybe come and race us in a 5k on thursday night, with my 22.06 track 5000m the other night, I think we could push each other to a better level maybe, although I think I'd have triouble staying with you in the last 3k...

    ReplyDelete