Thursday, April 29, 2010

Forefoot strike, big toes and piano progress

I'm experimenting with a new running style, were you land on your forefoot instead of your heel. I think it's called "pose" running. There is lots on the net about it, supposedly it is more natural. However as I discovered it can really bugger your calves as it puts a lot of strain on them. The first time I tried it I hobbled for 4 days! Although I land on the fore foot my heel touches down briefly very quickly afterwards. This brief touchdown gives the calves a split second of relief. If you don't do that (i.e. heel never touches ground) you will very quickly tire the calves.

It's odd to do because you have to consciously think about it. But eventually it does become second nature. I find I can now alternate between heel striking and forefoot striking as required, to give my calves a break.

I've found that forefoot striking encourages a more efficient running motion and therefore is speedier. When I switch back to heel striking I feel "clumpier" although it is more relaxing. I reckon my times have improved using the technique, probably taking off 15 secs per km over 10k compared to a few months ago.

As an aside, does anyone else find that their big toe wears a hole in the top of their trainers?! I've had 3 pairs of Asics and each pair has the same hole where my big toes have rubbed right through the material on the top. They do fit me perfectly though. Weird.

Finally, I've been learning piano for about 6 months and I can now play stuff that doesn't sound like a retarded gorilla. I've spent a few weeks trying to learn Mozart's Minuet in F which Wolfie wrote when he was 6. And here's anothere 6 year old playing it on Youtube. Gah!

Here's a gratuitous pic of my piano (it's a digital one). It's even got dinky pedals so I can pretend I'm a real Liberace.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin

    I had that trouble with the Asics 2120 but it must have been a common problem because they added some additional material to that particular part of the toe for the 2130.

    I stocked up on 2130s (on my last pair now) so missed the 2140. I've subsequently tried Brooks Adrenaline 10 but I'm not ecstatic about them so will probably go to the Asics 2150 for my next training shoe.

    Do you race and train in the same shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I race and train in the same ones. I've gone from Asics 2130->2140->2150. Mostly because I can get them in 4E width. I know I should try racing flats, I think I will get some maybe in time for Joondalup 10k.

    ReplyDelete