Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Good 5k mid-week tempo

5km 23:47 @ 4:45 HR 172

As I am doing the Challenge 10k on Sunday I thought I should try for a decent tempo hit out today. I decided to do a 1.5km warm-up, which is something I don't usually bother with. I'm glad I did 'cos I felt much better when I started the 5k. The Garmin has a "Do Workout" function that precisely measures 5k and bleeps when it's reached. I managed to sustain a 4:45 pace which I was pleased with. My aim in the 10k is to try and go sub-47 but I may be asking too much. Well, it means I need to sustain a 4:42 pace. I was completely knackered after 5k at 4:45 so I dunno, the race atmosphere might get me there.

2 comments:

  1. I'm only writing on your blog coz you wrote on mine....:)

    Seriously, sounds like everything is going well for you. I'd start the 10km trying to hit bang on 4.45 pace and see what happens. It's easy to go out too fast; I do it all the time...

    Hope the family is well; mine are exhausting me more than the running at the mo...

    I'm going up to do the Barossa half with colsy this weekend; frank has piked on me...should be a good day. Reckon I'll be lucky to go under 1:45 at the moment....


    cheers Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble is I can't start out at that pace (4:45), it would kill me. Maybe if I do a 1k warm-up?

    I have a 6-month baby who woke at 4:45am and it was my turn to get up - trouble is I only went to bad at 1am, doh! So under 4 hours sleep but I still did my midweek 14k this arvo.

    I am hoping to go over 200km for the month, which I reckon is probably the minimum for marathon training. We'll see...go on, update your blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete