Monday, June 22, 2009

Perth Half Marathon

21.1k 1:47:00

I had been looking forward to this, as my previous 2 HMs (Perth and Freo last year) were a bit soft at around 1:54. I knew I could do a lot better, and was pretty confident of getting a new PB especially after all my marathon training.

I got to Burswood really early, still in the dark at 6:50am! I actually got lost on the way as I don’t know the area. There was hardly anyone else around and I had the toilets all to myself. I hate queuing for them.

After a decent warm-up I met up with a few other Coolrunners and then it was time for the start. The announcer said there were around 900 entrants which is a big increase on previous years. I started at the back which is probably a mistake because it took a good couple of minutes to get going. Next time I must get the confidence to start further up.

I had planned my 5km splits in advance, aiming for 27m, 26m, 26m and 25m. I also set my Garmin Virtual Partner to a pace of 5:10 mins/km. As it turned out I felt really good and the weather was nice and cool with no rain. I got the first 5km in 26:41 and the second in 25:17m. I knew I was well under my target time and just had to keep up the pace. I ran a lot of the way with fellow Coolrunner Mjail who set a perfect pace. At the turnaround at UWA I had a quick blast of powerade from the stand. I actually walked through all 4 drink stations as I find I can’t actually drink if I run. I felt really strong on the way back and the next two splits were both under 25 mins, so I knew I was going to be well under 1:50. With about 1km to go I decided to go for broke and sped up to overtake a few people, doing my fastest pace all the way to the end for a time of bang on 1:47. I was thrilled to take such a big chunk out of my PB!

The race was won by local boy Courtney Carter in the amazing time of 1:07, over 3 mins ahead of second place.

Next up is the marathon in 2 weeks, really looking forward to it now!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the PB, I didn't see you but my training partner Turtle Runner said you were there. May see you at the marathon in 2 weeks although I am in a team only :) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I only just found your new blog!! Well done on the PB...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Which leg of the relay are you doing Kilee? I did it last year, it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's smashing your old PB, 20CB.
    You're looking good for sub 4 in 3 weeks.

    cheers dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on an excellent PB there!

    7 minutes is a lot to take off in one go, shows how much you have improved this year. You have the speed for a sub 4 marathon thats for sure.
    However landing that fish is a lot tougher than a Half or 10k. Its a different ballgame.
    You will probably get there though if you learn, persist and get more smarter and more consistent with the training over a period of several months at least, and finally have the right stragies on race day, for example drinks.
    Hope there is heaps of Pb's ahead. well done!

    ReplyDelete